Since june I took part as a victim ( 😉 ) of 3 Social media campaigns that took place here in Italy.
Social media campaigns are an incredibly effective medium to make people work for you and spread your brand as far as it is possible, by means, in many cases, of a little economic effort (if well done).
In short this is what happens: a brand gives a reward or a promise of reward if people post or invent something (a video, a photo, something smart or beautiful) to share on the media (Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Twitter, EyeEM etc) and tag your brand. This trick, as I said mostly rewarding in terms of promotion of the brand, was even used for fundraising (does #icebucketchallenge remind you anything?).
So, let’s go back to my experience:
1. Appleton rum Italia: offers a six month job in Jamaica for 1 social media manager – you had to produce a video of 45seconds and hope to be chosen for the next two steps (30 persons interviewed in Milan and then only ten of them will “fight” for the job with a profile on the company web site for two week. Now, 05th november, we are at this step) #mollotutto – social network used: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Google+.
2. “Il Tulipano vinci l’uomo ideale a casa tua” (win your ideal man at your home): This brand called IL TULIPANO (tulip) – home and beauty products – if you comment on a website made for the purpose, makes you win 1.000 euros in shop-gifts and, surprise surprise… a man, Your Ideal man at your home doing…Home Duties! Yes, you understood well, he is going to help you clean your house for an entire weekend! 😉 Here you can vote, comment and win one of the man auctioned to be The ideal Man: http://www.iltulipanoluomoideale.it –social network used: Facebook and a website.
3. Booking.com: share your pics of rooms, views from your hotel windows, of good moments lived related to the brand and you may win 20.000€ to spend in booking.com…ain’t it fantastic? #bookingyeah and @bookingcom on Instagram and/or Twitter
So, why do you think people should participate?
This 3 campaigns play with 3 big needs: Money, exploring social issues and amusement.
1.Appleton rum is offering a well paid job in Jamaica in time of crisis like this (in Italy one of two young people is unemployed).
2. Il Tulipano offers money to buy its product and- giving you a man on a weekend to help you clean your house- is trying to reverse a rule yet so strong in Italy: women should do home duties (yes in Italy we are still at this point).
3. Booking. com with an effort of only a pic shared, you may win 20.000 $ and get your travel done on booking.com.
If you ask me, I think that the most innovative is IL TULIPANO (nb: you have to know that I happened to work for it, but this is my personal opinion and I truly believe in it), even if to win you have to spend 30 euro in one of the shops to get the code to win the final prizes. This campaign has a social purpose too, it is trying to make reflect on Women and Men roles, hoping that in a future we will not have to talk about who is doing what (shouldn’t we cooperate and help each other instead?).
The most smart is Appleton rum, because more than 1200 videos were produced on the internet, and people have been talking about it since june. The only negative point is that the 30 persons chosen for the job interview had to go to Milan at his/her own expenses (yes, I enjoyed doing the video and being chosen. I liked all about it, but it costed me enough to get there; and beside me, there where people coming from all over Italy). For exchange those 30 persons, me too, had as a gift a bottle of good rum and learned how to make some good cocktails 😉 .
The easiest and maybe the less expensive is Booking.com social media campaign. With no expenses and sharing a moment that you enjoyed , you could win money to travel around.
Yes, this is, at the moment and as a participant, my favorite! 🙂
Let’s hope you and I win 😉
nb: all my opinions are personal and don’t express in any case the brands quoted opinion.